• Users Online: 447
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 5  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 55-59

Empty Sella Syndrome: Management of 34 Cases


1 Professor, Dept. of Neurosurgery, IGIMS, Patna, India
2 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Neurosurgery, IGIMS, Patna, India
3 Associate Professor, Dept. of Neurosurgery, IGIMS, Patna, India

Correspondence Address:
Om Prakash Gupta
Dept. of Neuro Surgery, IGIMS, Patna
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Empty sella syndrome (ESS) is an anatomical/ radiological entity, in which the pituitary fossa is enlarged and is filled with Cereberospinal fluid (CSF) owing to arachnoids’ herniation, while pituitary gland is compressed. This retrospective study was done to evaluate the clinical features, medical and surgical management and outcome in 34 cases with ESS presented to our department for a period of seven years (2011- 2017). ESS is divided into primary and secondary type, depending on the presence or absence of pituitary pathology. 21 Patients presented with primary ESS and 13 had secondary ESS. 4 patients were asymptomatic. 30 patients presented with headache, 15 patients with endocrinological dysfunction, 12 patients with visual manifestation and 8 patients with CSF rhinorrhea. 10 patients (29.4%) underwent surgical treatment and the remaining 24 patients (70.6%) underwent medical management. CSF rhinorrhea, visual disturbances and persistent raised ICP were the main indications of surgery. The type of surgery depended on clinical presentation and radiological finding. The outcomes in the surgical cases were favorable.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed145    
    Printed10    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded5    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal